POA (Powers of Automation) is a fast-growing, dynamic company in the San Francisco Bay Area and Bend, Oregon. We provide full-service integration, calibration, and validation services to the pharmaceutical, aviation, food, and beverage industries among many others. POA offers a competitive benefits package including generous PTO and health insurance. POA has strong company values and believes that employees perform best with a healthy life and work balance.
POA is hiring an Automation Engineer to work in our Bend, Oregon location.
The Automation Engineer designs and implements control systems, provides change control, troubleshoots automated equipment, provides modifications to existing control systems, and supports customer projects from beginning to end.
Primary Roles, Responsibilities and Authorities:
• Responsible to uphold POA’s Quality Policy and provide consistent quality customer service.
• Responsible to uphold POA’s Safety Policy and promote a safe work environment.
• Responsible to champion POA’s core values and promote the growth, vision, and development of the company.
• Responsible to adhere to the POA Quality Management System.
• Ability to develop software for PLC based control systems.
• Ability to develop software for human machine interfaces (HMI).
• Ability to develop software for SCADA control systems, including data acquisition, alarm notification, reports, and batch recipe management.
• Ability to develop configuration settings for VFDs, Ethernet switches, chart recorders, and similar configurable devices.
• Ability to perform panel layout and design with attention to routing and separation of dissimilar voltages and signal types.
• Ability to perform AutoCAD development including electrical drawing design and as-built modifications to existing drawings.
• Ability to peer review and approve designs, quotes, drawings, P&IDs, and other project-related documents.
• Ability to understand and apply FDA regulations for software development for the Pharmaceutical manufacturing industry.
• Ability to ensure conformance to UL 508 requirements for Industrial Control Panels, NFPA 70 National Electrical Code, and POA Quality procedures. When required, ensure conformance to UL 698A requirements for Industrial Control Panels Relating to Hazardous Locations.
• Ability to maintain project BOMs and documentation.
• Ability to utilize project management software to maintain timelines, deliverables, allocate resources, project status updates and timekeeping.
• Ability to install, startup, commission, troubleshoot and repair control systems within POA and licensing limitations.
• Ability to train customer personnel on control system operation.
• Ability to use MS Word, Excel and other software packages as necessary to author, review and revise controls and validation documentation.
• Ability to author, review and/or approve:
o Functional Specifications (FS)
o Software Design Specifications (SDS)
o Acceptance Tests (FAT, SAT), including execution.
o Installation, Operational and Performance Qualification protocols (IQ, OQ, PQ) (including execution)
• Ability to provide training to POA engineers and technicians regarding program changes and maintenance of PLC and automation systems.
• Ability to develop and/or maintain written procedures as required; work with engineering team to improve POA software development procedures and standards.
Secondary Roles, Responsibilities and Authorities:
• Support customer sales quotes and service inquiries.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering or technical field; or, equivalent directly related combination of education and business experience.
• Emerson DeltaV certification, preferred.
• Minimum 10 years’ experience in implementing control system projects.
• Organization and attention to details.
• Ability to multi‐task between projects and tasks.
• Effective team player.
• Effective problem-solver.
• Program PLCs and HMIs (Allen Bradley, GE, Siemens, Emerson etc.).
• Install, configure, and maintain application software.
• Configure VFDs (Allen Bradley, etc.).
• Configure Managed Ethernet Switches (Allen Bradley, Cisco, Moxa, etc.).
• Configure chart recorders, dataloggers and test equipment.
• Ability to read and understand P&ID and electrical drawings.
• Thorough understanding of UL508A / UL698A and NFPA70.
• Ability to use standard electrical instruments such as multimeters, inductive ammeters, etc.
• Ability to use Email/Outlook, Excel, Word, PDF Software, and Project Management software (e.g., Project Insight, MS Project).
• Must be able to work safely around hazardous materials, electrical systems, and industrial automated processes.
• Valid Driver’s License and a driving record that maintains insurability under the company’s vehicle and liability policies.
• Generally sedentary. May require standing and walking for up to 30% of the time.
• Occasional lifting up to 35 lbs. (overhead, waist level) from floor, bending.
• Frequent near vision required for reading and computer use.
• Work primarily indoors in a general office environment.
• Work in customer facilities including but not limited to: Clean rooms, GMP controlled environments, light and heavy industrial facilities.
• Outdoor field work as required.
• Availability to travel out of town for projects and training up to 30% per year.
Company Core Values:
• POA is One Team
• Family First
• Customer Centered (internal & external)
• Continual Improvement
• First Time Right
• Community Involvement
- Frequency: Approximately 30% or less of total time
- Duration: Dependent on customer requirements
Working Hours: Full-time exempt (40 hours/week) working during normal business hours. Position is not overtime eligible.
Compensation / Benefits DOE, generous PTO; 8 paid holidays; health insurance; continued education/training reimbursement.
Date Posted: January 29, 2021
Close Date: March 1, 2021