POA (Powers of Automation) is a fast-growing, dynamic company in the San Francisco Bay Area and Bend, Oregon. We provide full-service integration, calibration, and validation services to the pharmaceutical, aviation, food, and beverage industries among many others. POA offers a competitive benefits package including generous PTO and health insurance. POA has strong company values and believes that employees perform best with a healthy life and work balance.
POA is hiring an Automation Engineer to work in our Novato, California location.
The Controls Engineer designs and implements control systems, provides change control, troubleshoots automated equipment, provides modifications to existing control systems, and supports customer projects from beginning to end.
- Program PLCs and HMIs (Allen Bradley, GE, Siemens, Emerson etc.).
- Install, configure, and maintain application software.
- Configure VFDs (Allen Bradley, etc.).
- Configure Managed Ethernet Switches (Allen Bradley, Cisco, Moxa, etc.).
- Configure chart recorders, dataloggers and test equipment.
- Ability to read and understand P&ID and electrical drawings.
- Ability to use standard electrical instruments such as multimeters, inductive ammeters, etc.
- Ability to use Email/Outlook, Excel, Word, PDF Software, and Project Management software (e.g., Project Insight, MS Project).
- Must be able to work safely around hazardous materials, electrical systems, and industrial automated processes.
- Valid Driver’s License and a driving record that maintains insurability under the company’s vehicle and liability policies.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or technical field; or, equivalent directly related combination of education and business experience.
- Emerson DeltaV certification, preferred.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in implementing control system projects.
Specific job functions include (but are not limited to):
- Ability to develop software for PLC based control systems.
- Ability to develop software for human machine interfaces (HMI).
- Ability to develop software for SCADA control systems, including data acquisition, alarm notification, reports, and batch recipe management.
- Ability to develop configuration settings for VFDs, Ethernet switches, chart recorders, and similar configurable devices.
- Ability to peer review and approve designs, quotes, drawings, P&IDs, and other project-related documents.
- Ability to understand and apply FDA regulations for software development for the Pharmaceutical manufacturing industry.
- Ability to maintain project BOMs and documentation.
- Ability to utilize project management software to maintain timelines, deliverables, allocate resources, project status updates and timekeeping.
- Ability to install, startup, commission, troubleshoot and repair control systems within POA and licensing limitations.
- Ability to train customer personnel on control system operation.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel and other software packages as necessary to author, review and revise controls and validation documentation.
- Ability to author, review and/or approve:
- Functional Specifications (FS)
- Software Design Specifications (SDS)
- Acceptance Tests (FAT, SAT), including execution.
- Installation, Operational and Performance Qualification protocols (IQ, OQ, PQ) (including execution)
- Ability to provide training to POA engineers and technicians regarding program changes and maintenance of PLC and automation systems.
- Ability to develop and/or maintain written procedures as required; work with engineering team to improve POA software development procedures and standards.
- Support customer sales quotes and service inquiries.
- Generally sedentary. May require standing and walking for up to 30% of the time.
- Occasional lifting up to 35 lbs. (overhead, waist level) from floor, bending.
- Frequent near vision required for reading and computer use.
- Able to drive a vehicle, maintain a valid state driver’s license and have a driving record acceptable to our insurer.
- Work primarily indoors in a general office environment.
- Work in customer facilities including but not limited to: Clean rooms, GMP controlled environments, light and heavy industrial facilities.
- Outdoor field work as required.
- Frequency: Approximately 30% or less of total time
- Duration: Dependent on customer requirements
Working Hours: Full-time exempt (40 hours/week) working during normal business hours. Position is not overtime eligible.
Compensation / Benefits DOE, generous PTO; 8 paid holidays; health insurance; continued education/training reimbursement.
Date Posted: January 1, 2021
Close Date: March 1, 2021